Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Sun Cellular posts 10-million subscriber count in 2009
DIGITEL Mobile Philippines Inc. (DMPI), operator of the Sun Cellular brand, registered more than 10 million subscribers in 2009. Information provided by the Gokongwei-controlled mobile phone operator indicated that the number of Sun Cellular subscribers increased by about 2 million last year from 8.2 million in 2008. “Sun Cellular holds the distinction of being the fastest growing mobile network provider in the country with more than 10 million subscribers supported by its over 5,000 cellular sites nationwide,” it said. The company intends to add 5 million to 6 million new subscribers every year. Sun Cellular was introduced in 2003. Three years later, its subscriber base reached 2.3 million. The brand pioneered unlimited call and text messaging services for subscribers. It has been upgrading its services by continuously expanding network coverage through aggressive network rollouts. Digitel is the listed phone firm of conglomerate JG Summit Inc. In 2007 the cellular firm claimed it took the No. 2 spot in overall postpaid subscriptions and was No. 1 in postpaid acquisition for the year. “Sun Cellular is the leader in postpaid growth with seven out of 10 postpaid subscribers choosing [the brand],” it said. The company capped 2008 with 4,000 cell sites to support the needs of its subscribers. Sun Cellular is currently the third-largest mobile phone operator. Smart Communications Inc. is still the leading cellular firm in terms of subscriber count with 40 million registered at end-2009. Smart is a wholly owned unit of phone giant Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. Globe Telecom, the joint venture between Ayala Corp. and SingTel, has yet to report its subscriber numbers. As of end-September last year, Globe had 23.1 million subscribers. Mobile telephony has reached over 80 percent SIM (subscriber identification module) penetration level; however, taking out incidences of multi-SIM usage, penetration on a unique subscriber basis is around 79 percent as of end-September 2009. It is expected that the mobile market will continue to see growth, albeit at a slower rate compared with the high double-digit growth rates back in the earlier years. The third-quarter performance of the cellular firms was adversely affected by the effects of the global recession. However, they anticipate the usual boost in the fourth quarter last year as a result of holiday spending.
- ► 2011 (127)
- PCOS field test fails
- Critics dampen hype over Apple's iPad
- Review of automation software to start February
- What unified communications can do for your busine...
- Poll machine fails test after Comelec uses defecti...
- Why old media loves Apple's newest thing
- Books on iPad Offer Publishers a Pricing Edge
- Mobile Habits Changing As Smartphones Go Mass Mark...
- Giving Mobile Ads a Makeover
- Apple's Jobs unveils new tablet computer, the iPad...
- FIRST HYBRID NOTEBOOK/TABLET: THE LENOVO IDEAPAD U...
- Twitter to hold 'Chirp,' first conference for deve...
- Palace allows Schutzengel Telecom congressional fr...
- Philippines Has the 12th Most Number of Twitter Us...
- Globe unit secures govt nod to expand remittance s...
- Broadband speeds seen to grow tenfold
- Ongpin-owned telecom bags permanent permit
- Sun Cellular posts 10-million subscriber count in ...
- People don't have to rely just on Twitter, Google ...
- Twitter cuts feature on site over security flaw
- Anti-child-porn, anti-cyber-boso laws could lead t...
- Twitter users respond to Jason Ivler’s arrest
- Tablet PCs
- Attacks from file-sharing networks to escalate
- 43,000 flying voters ere discovered because of AFI...
- Mayen Austria, Jason Ivler top local Google search...
- Twitter has begun rolling out location-based trend...
- Low-tech radios connect some Haitians
- 2010: Innovation or interruption?
- Click Fraud Gets More Elaborate with 'Real' Purcha...
- YouTube streamlines its video-viewing page
- Your Cell Phone Is A Homing Beacon
- Nokia Phones Offering Free GPS for 74 Countries
- Cybercrime shakes up trust in Facebook, Friendster...
- Wednesday whales take down Twitter
- YouTube getting into movie rental business
- 'Sikat,' RP's second solar car, embarks on nationw...
- Bayan Broadband offers EVDO at Php699
- Sun Easy Postpaid
- Globe SUPER-UNLI
- CEA Advances Mobile DTV Through Plugfest
- SANYO Introduces World’s Slimmestand Lightest Xac...
- SANYO Announces the World’s Smallest, Lightest, an...
- Samsung Launches New Slim External DVD Writer for ...
- One PC, Two Devices: Lenovo Reveals the Industry’s...
- TV Programming in Real Time on Your Cell?
- Glide Launches Google Chrome Browser OS at the Con...
- BlackBerry Bold 9000 Specifications
- BlackBerry Curve 8900 Specifications
- BlackBerry Storm 9500 Specifications
- BlackBerry Pearl 8120 Specifications
- BlackBerry Curve 8520 Specifications
- ADVISORY TO SMART SUBSCRIBERS Per Pulse
- Sun Double Unlimited 249
- Nokia E72
- LG GD510 Pop
- bayanWIRELESS landline Voice SMS
- bayanWIRELESS landline PrePAID
- Nokia 5230
- PLDT internet@home
- GOOGLE NEXUS ONE
- Sun Cellular Call & Text Rates
- Sun Cellular Daylite Call and Text Unlimited
- Sun Cellular Regular Load
- Sun Cellular BudgeTXT
- Sun Cellular Call & Text Combo
- Sun Cellular Text Unlimited
- PLDT LANDLINE PLUS TODO DISKWENTO PLANS
- Globe DUO Prepaid
- GLOBE SUPER DUO
- Sun Double Unlimited 249!
- MODU the world’s lightest, fully loaded phone
- BOOST YOUR TATTOO SIGNAL
- GLOBE TATTOO WIFI
- GLOBE SURF ALL DAY
- GLOBE TATTOO UNLICHAT+
- GLOBE TATTOO SULITCHAT
- Globe UNLITXT ALL DAY
- GLOBE PER PULSE BILLING
- Globe TXTOTHERS 20
- Globe SULITXT 15
- Globe ImmortalCall+
- Globe IMMORTALTXT
- ▼ January (83)