With less than a month to go before the dreaded-slash-much-anticipated 2010 presidential elections, the new automated system is still encountering glitches. Not that we're surprised because it's happened before, but this time, the problem is caused by (cue robotic voice) HUMAN ERROR!
Transmission tests in the northern municipality of Ivana, Batanes, uncovered what many have already been thinking as the weakest link in the automation chain – lack of knowledge about the system. Nope, we're not talking about the voters (the SexBomb Girls already had that covered months ago) but about the people who are tasked to run the equipment.
First-time tester Geoffrey Nanud (or Na-"noob"?) was tasked to configure and demo the Broadband Global Area Network (BGAN) that will transmit election results from the municipal hall to Smartmatic's servers in Manila.
The demo, however, turned out to be an embarrassing experience for Nanub as he took more than 3 hours to establish a satellite uplink in the wide open spaces of Batanes. Ivana election officer Rosanna Lagua expressed her concern especially since the transmission of votes is just as important as the voting itself.
In a classic case of the media becoming part of the news, an ABS-CBN satellite specialist stepped in to help Nanub configure the equipment. The specialist effortlessly fixed the problem. Ouch.
We feel bad for noob because, obviously, it's not his fault he wasn't trained properly. Too late for him, though, as he's already been OWNED on national TV.
- ► 2011 (127)
- ELECTION 2010: Poll-machine test transmission FAIL...
- Globe Tattoo UnliMAIL
- German tablet PC sets out to rival Apple's iPad
- ImmortalTXT is back with Immortal text 20
- Super Surf FAQ
- Globe Super Surf (UNLIMITED SURFING)
- Comelec ?90% ready? for automated elections
- E-passport processing time doubled
- 2 voting machines malfunction in HK
- Verify Voter Registration Through the COMELEC Onli...
- Much awaited 4438 is revealed!
- Smart Red Mobile Unlimited Call Text
- SUN CELLULAR vs RED MOBILE - Who Has The Better Un...
- Sun Flexi Load 50
- Sun Broadband Wireless Plan 350 Lite
- GET THE PERFECT MIX OF CALLS & TEXTS WITH THE NEW ...
- SMART BUDDY QUICK ACCESS SIM Load Wallet
- NEW! SMART BUDDY QUICK ACCESS SIM
- iPhone OS 4.0 is now official with over 100 new fe...
- iPad owners raise Wi-Fi issues
- Text blasting tapped for good, for evil
- 2 more Nokia phones get free Ovi Maps for life
- Globe Postpaid FAQs For My Rewards My Globe (4438)...
- Globe Prepaid Mechanics For My Rewards My Globe
- visit www.facebook.com/philtechnology
- visit http://ping.fm/8l4Jp
- Filipino internet users most engaged in social med...
- Apple: Multitasking coming to the iPhone
- My Rewards, My Globe
- Globe's 4438 Points Reward System
- Smart MyTV Service gets Suspended
- Fingerprint Bankless Transaction System
- Globe 4438 Secret Decoded
- ▼ April (33)