Sun Cellular will continue to offer unli voice and text services even after PLDT completes its investment in Digitel Inc., Sun’s parent company, PLDT President and CEO Napoleon L. Nazareno said in a statement.
“Our intention is to maintain Sun’s current offers and further improve them. One clear opportunity is mobile broadband,” Nazareno said.
“Leveraging the combined networks of PLDT, Smart and Sun, we plan to expand the reach and raise the quality of mobile broadband services for Sun subscribers. This is in line with our Internet for All advocacy.”
Some quarters had raised concerns that PLDT’s investment into Digitel would lead to the end of Sun’s unli offers.
“That’s not going to happen. There is a market for unli services and we intend to be the best in serving that market,” Nazareno said.
“Over the next three months, we shall study further Digitel’s operations and networks. This will enable us to draw up specific plans in order to realize the synergies between PLDT, Smart and Digitel,” Nazareno said.
Earlier this week, top officials of PLDT and JG Summit Inc. had signed an agreement under which PLDT will acquire JG Summit’s shareholdings and other economic interests in Digitel for the sum of P69.2 billion.
PLDT will also undertake a mandatory tender offer for the remaining common shares of Digitel held by minority shareholders. This could raise the total transaction price up to P74.1 billion.
Payment would be done in the form of PLDT shares valued at P2,500 each.
To complete the transaction, PLDT needs to obtain regulatory as well as shareholder approvals in a process that it hopes to finish in the next three months.
- PLDT: We?ll maintain Sun?s unli services
- End of unlimited calls, texts feared
- Fedora 15 vs. Ubuntu 11.04: The Battle for Linux D...
- Sun Cellular launches ?Mobile Pay? for business
- Globe ready to compete, fundamental strategy to co...
- PLDT to buy 51.55% of Digitel
- Mobile threats doubled in 2010, anti-virus firm sa...
- SkyCable tries to shake up local broadband mart wi...
- TNT Promo
- Smart Buddy Promo
- Analyst: Carriers need new approaches to make data...
- Globe Tattoo Buy 3, Get 1 FREE Promo
- Smart Bro UnliSURF 50
- ALLTXT TUNES 15
- SC allows e-summons for foreign firms without PH r...
- Text hoax on nuke radiation grips PH, dupes PUP he...
- E-commerce marketplace empowers ?netpreneurs?
- A day before Japan disaster, DOST calls for quake-...
- Prioritization of ICT-infused ?disaster science? p...
- Cybercrime in PH: A new breed of menace
- Smart to saturate countryside with P500 low-end ph...
- Customer Service in a Flash
- PLDT touts first mobile cloud solution
- Bill on free Wi-Fi in gov?t offices filed in Congr...
- SMART BRO'S BROADBANDEST BLOWOUT
- PC forecast lowered as iPad, other tablets redefin...
- Globe Unlimited text to ALL NETWORKS
- ▼ March (27)